"We found significant deficits in the intelligence quotient (IQ) of children exposed to higher concentrations of manganese in drinking water," lead author Maryse Bouchard said in a news release. "Yet manganese concentrations were well below current guidelines."
The results of the study are published in the scientific journal Environmental Health Perspectives.
Manganese, is a free element in nature that seeps into water sources. As a free element, manganese is a metal which finds its way into ground water sources through natural seepage.
The Canadian study focused on drinking water as the source of exposure for the 350 plus 362 children that were examined in this research project. It seems to me that an even greater impact may come from exposure when showering. A study performed in 2005 suggested a link between manganese inhalation and nervous system toxicity. It was hypothesized that long term exposure to naturally occurring manganese in shower water put as many as 8.7 million Americans at risk. Manganism, a disease similar to Parkinson Disease, has been linked to exposure to manganese.
Manganese is very common in ground water sources throughout the US and Canada. I strongly recommend annual testing if you rely on well or spring water for your home. Don't take for granted the water is safe that just because looks clean. If tests show manganese is present, get a filter that will reduce or remove it.
thanks for stopping by.